Thursday, January 28, 2010

1.28.10: Mama Knows Best?


My dear sweet baby A.J.,

Your mama is here to hijack your blog for today. I edited these pictures this afternoon while you were in your room *not napping.* I was listening to you on the monitor even though I really didn't need it. I could hear what you had to say quite clearly through the closed nursery door. You may not have any words yet, but you know how to get your point across. You started with, "Hey mama. I miss you. Please come play with me." and when that didn't elicit the desired response you changed to, "WOMAN WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?? DON'T YOU HEAR ME IN HERE??? I AM NOT HAPPY!"


What you don't know is while you were in there crying, I was out here shedding some tears of my own. This is the hard part of being a mama. A big part of me wants to run in and scoop you up and rock you in my arms until you fall asleep. I want to sniff your hair and listen to that cute little sleepy sigh you make. But the other part of me knows that if I do that I'll have to hold you for the whole time you are napping because you'll wake up when I transfer you to the crib. And then we'd have to start the whole nap routine all over again. So I let you fuss for a while, listening as the frustrated cries of an overtired baby quiet over a few minutes and then....silence.

(Until of course the mail truck drives by, Walker barks, and you are once again screaming. That's the way our life goes I'm afraid.)


So I guess the reason I'm writing this today is to let you know that I'm trying really hard to be the best mama I can be for you. Sometimes that means I have to make you take the icky medicine. Sometimes that means I can't let you eat bananas at every meal. Sometimes that means I have to let the doctors poke you. And sometimes that means you need to put yourself to sleep at naptime.

Bear with me baby boy.
I'm doing the best I can.
Love,
Mama



1 comment:

Laura said...

You are doing a great job...