Wednesday, January 27, 2010

1.27.10: My Plan to Become Doogie Howser

Hi guys! A.J. here!
It's time I let you all in on a little secret.
Mama thinks I am going to be the pilot of Air Force One, but I have other plans. I am going to be a doctor! And since that's my goal, I've decided it makes sense to make frequent trips to the hospital. It will give me a leg up when it's time to go to medical school right?

Today's emergency room adventure was the result of breakfast. Mama made me cereal and bananas which I've had lots and lots of times before (mmmm bananas!) but this time she mixed the cereal with formula which she normally doesn't do.

(Are you seeing where this is going?)

Well, the formula has milk in it and apparently I am ALLERGIC TO MILK!!!

Mama has some benadryl on hand this time and gave me some as soon as my lips started getting puffy. Then she called the doctor to see if I needed to go to the hospital. The nurse said because my mouth was all swollen they needed to see me at the hospital just to be safe. So Mama loaded me in the car and called Daddy on the way.

We had to stay for a couple of hours so that the doctors could make sure I was breathing okay and so that they could make sure the medicines they gave me were working. Now that I have had two ER trips for allergic reactions, I have to go back to the pediatric allergist for more tests. If you're keeping track that would be the same pediatric allergist who told Mama there was no way I could be allergic to milk when she took me to see him back in October. If you know my mama you know that she's just a little bit mad about that and is going to have to try very hard to be polite to that doctor when she sees him.

So there ya go. Just another day in my life.
Let's all hope I outgrow this allergy thing because Mama says ice cream is really tasty!

2 comments:

Caroline Lamar said...

A.J.-
My mommy works at a hospital and would be more than happy to hook you up with an internship or at least a tour. There's no need to keep landing in the emergency department. Please take care of yourself!
Love,
Allie

Barb said...

AJ -
I can't lie to you; the allergic reaction is not a good look on you.

And, I'm very sad that dairy allergy means no ice cream. I promise to slip you some a dairy-free frozen treat sometime, though.

Fun Aunt Barb