Wednesday, January 13, 2010

1.13.10: About Last Night

Hi Guys! A.J. here! Sorry about my, um, absence yesterday.
Now that I am feeling much better, I can give you the lowdown on what happened.
See that picture up there? That was *supposed* to be the picture Mama shared last night.
That would be me, sitting up like a big boy!

But just after that picture was taken, dinner was ready.
So, Mama put me in my high chair so I could watch them eat.
And Daddy asked if he could give me a new treat, a "biter biscuit."

So while the grown ups dined on garlic chicken, I gnawed on this little cookie thing. It was quite fun actually. I got to put my two teeth to work and make a bit of a mess in the process. Before I knew it, Mama and Daddy were done eating and it was time for my bath.

That's when I started feeling a little funny. My eyes got really itchy and I started rubbing them a lot. At first Mama and Daddy just thought I was really tired (it was almost bed time after all). But when they got me out of the bath they realized something was wrong.
My mouth started getting really puffy. And then my cheeks and eyelids got really puffy.

Daddy finished getting my dried off and into my jammies while Mama called the nurses line.

Daddy took this picture while we waited for the call back. You can see I wasn't quite looking like myself. Then, the nurse called back, asked some questions and told Mama that I needed to go to the hospital so they could give me special medicine for my allergic reaction. (Mama note: the nurse also said I should ride in the backseat with A.J. to make sure he kept breathing in the car. Way to freak a Mama out!!)

This is the picture Mama says "breaks her heart" Daddy took it right before we left and I was *trying* to smile at him, but my lips wouldn't work right.

So, we went to the hospital and everyone was really nice there.
The nurse even gave me a plastic syringe to play with.
Mama called it a souvenir, and then I poked my eye with it and she took it away.

I tried my best to smile at all the people who were taking care of me, but again my lips weren't quite working right. The good news is, everything else seemed to be working fine. I was breathing okay and I didn't have any other problems except for all of the swelling on my face.

The doctor gave me a couple of medicines in my mouth, and a shot that he told my Mama was going to probably keep me "up all night." Mama told him at least we would have a good reason for being awake as opposed to other nights.

But you know what? That doctor underestimated the power of my normally scheduled bedtime. Epi or not, it was past my bedtime....

I fell asleep in Daddy's arms and Mama used the cell phone to take my picture
Daddy transfered me to the bed until we got our discharge orders.
And then, we went home...by way of Dairy Queen.
After a diaper change and a snack, I was asleep in my crib by 9 pm and Mama and Daddy went to bed soon after.

So, that's that. No more biter biscuits, or wheat anything for me.
And now Mama and Daddy have the benadryl on standby for any future foods that might make me swollen and itchy. The doctors say I am more prone to this because I am "Eczema Boy"

Mama says she hopes the rest of the week is a lot more boring!

No comments: