Thursday, December 31, 2009

Thanks for the Memories 2009

My dear sweet baby A.J.,

In just a couple of hours, the clock will strike midnight and we will say goodbye to the year 2009, welcoming in 2010. You, thankfully, have been asleep for a few hours now and with any luck will not wake up until the new year is at least 6 hours old. Before you went to sleep for the night, I made your daddy take this picture. Our standard self portrait, the last picture of our family taken in 2009. The grown ups look scruffy (we're on vacation after all), the baby looks dazed, and you can see that taking down the Christmas tree is still on the to do list. This is us, right this very minute. And I would not change a thing.

I'm not sure I've ever loved a year the way I loved 2009. The first six months were full of challenges and anticipation. Daddy and I went on our last vacation just the two of us (for a while anyway). I got my gestational diabetes diagnosis and learned how to give myself insulin several times a day (good thing you helped me get over my fear of needles). We spent lots of time picking out the things we would need for your arrival. We took the hospital childbirth class and tried not to worry that we would forget the important stuff when it was time for your arrival. We celebrated the birth of babies that will hopefully grow up to be your good friends (Miri, Nash, Charlie, and Charlie). Mama turned 30.

And then June came. You arrived and our world changed more than we could have ever imagined. We weren't quite sure what to do with you when they first sent us home from the hospital, but thankfully we are quick learners. You threw us a couple of curve balls there in the beginning with the jaundice (you spent a couple of days on the baby tanning bed) and then the seizures (you looked so tiny in that hospital crib). Your first week felt like it lasted a month, and there were moments that I wasn't sure I was smart enough or strong enough to be your mama. I know you won't remember those early days, but I will never forget them.

Now, you are approaching seven months old. You sleep in your own bed. You're experimenting with big people food, putting those two teeth of yours to work. You are so close to crawling and sitting up all by yourself. You smile and laugh all the time and I am so proud to be your Mama especially when someone comments on what a happy baby you are.

You are always up for an adventure and I can just imagine all of the adventures 2010 has in store for us. This time next year you'll be walking and talking (at least a little bit) and you'll have a new cousin to teach all sorts of tricks. I'll probably be here writing you another letter talking about how much I loved the past 365 days. And I'm sure I'll make Daddy take another silly picture of us just the way we are.

Happy 1st New Year baby boy!
All my love,
Mama




No comments: